Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Spend or Save?

Sometimes you find things at a high end store and think, "I could make that.  I know I could."  Then you start trying to assemble the individual pieces and parts and it quickly becomes clear that, although you might be able to capture the look well enough, you can't replicate the look without spending a fortune gathering everything needed to put it together.  And then there's the time investment.  If you're anything like me, this is where your lazy girl gene kicks in and you just pull out the wallet.

I have an accessory you can replicate in no time for a quarter of what it costs at retail.  Restoration Hardware is selling these bundles of old torn up books billed as Antiqued Uncovered Book Bundles, retailing for $29.

It seems silly really ...old torn up books...where's the appeal?  For me, it's just the colors and textures grouped together.  But if I ever paid $29 for them, I would hope my family would consider committing me for that 5150 hold thing Brittany Spears went through when she had her little break down.

Bottom line, a trip to the thrift store and some strategic ripping and binding (used the twine I  bind my recyclable papers with) later, I had my own version for the mantel:

I did purchase the cast iron letter C on top of the books.  The 4" version (they come in 4 sizes and can be hung on the wall as well) was $6 with my Resto that's $10 for you non employees :-).

Go tear up some books and tell me how it went.

Monday, August 16, 2010

My Windows Are Now Fully Dressed And Ready For Their Close Up

After three failed attempts with my normal standby,, I finally found the natural style roman shades I wanted online at Home Depot.

I climbed up on my step stool, drilled the holes for the screws (after much measuring, of course) and hung the shade on the first window.  I stepped back to admire my handiwork and pull the shades up to the desired length and ....nothing.  They just hung there all limp and pathetic.  I pulled the shade away from the window to see if the cord had gotten messed up and found the problem:

Every last one of these plastic rings was broken...ARRRGGGGGGG.  It was apparently broken before it was even shipped because there wasn't a single spec of plastic on the floor or in the box to indicate they broke post shipping. Anyway, after the agony I went through getting the darn thing up, I was in no mood to unscrew the screws and take it down, package it up and, AGAIN, have to send it back. 

I decided it would be far easier to find a replacement for the broken rings.  My handy Home Depot guy at the local store was on duty and advised me to go to Michael's, troll down the jewelry making aisle and find small metal rings that I could fit over the plastic.  One quick trip to Michael's later I found what he had described:

I had the new metal rings attached to the plastic ones in a few minutes and it works like a dream :-), happy.

 Now, if I could just get those curtains properly arranged and fluffed.  One crisis at a time...