Friday, March 19, 2010

A Stylish Girl's First Nest

Whenever the latest issue of one of my favorite design mags arrives, I make one last review of the previous issue to see if I want to tear any ideas out or just keep the issue for future reference.  When I went through the March Traditional Home mag last night, I was drawn again to one feature.

There was a profile of a twenty something, freshly minted fashion writer's first apartment.  Her mother is an interior designer so that certainly helps when you're trying to turn out a stylish first nest.  Together the two produced an awesome little space for daughter Lauren's Rye NY apartment that is a perfect marriage of budget (she is, after all, entry level fresh out of college) and investment pieces.

Here is designer mom, Suzanne McGrath and her daughter, Lauren sitting on Lauren's investment piece, a Mitchell Gold love seat (definitely would not have been room for that in my first apartment budget) in a timeless ticking pattern.  The fun yellow lamp was unearthed under a couple layers of dust at a flea market.  The sweet little blue coffee tables were a consignment shop find.  All other items in view were already owned by either Lauren or her mom.


Honestly, I loved everything about this space except the fact that the window treatment does not go all the way to the ground.  I love the light airy fabric and the print, but I cannot stand panels that fail to reach the ground.  To me it always looks like you're just making do instead of waiting until you could get what you want.

What I love though is the bench under the window where she stacks her books. 


No comments: