Monday, July 19, 2010

My Front Door Needs a Makeover

I'm in the process of painting my front door.  Not just painting really, but slapping on a brand new kick plate, door knocker and, if I can find the right size for this lovely old house, new door handle.

Here is the door before in all of it's blazing red glory:



This is the color it was painted when I bought the house and I did love it for a long time.  I think the Chinese believe red is good luck...or I thought I heard that once.  Eventually though, it was in desperate need of a paint job and I was in desperate need of a change in color.

I have settled on green, just not on the exact shade of green.  Something in the chartreuse family I think.  Chartreuse is such a cheerful color. A chartreuse door just says this is a happy house, don't you think? 

This is how far I've gotten with City Chartreuse from Valspar:

It'a a little brighter in person.  Not sure if it's too bright or not ... hence the unfinished bottom half of the door.

See that slightly darker swatch down the center?  That's a bit of Benjamin Moore's Olive Tree.  I really like that shade too.  It's just a bit darker...maybe a little more palatable?


Tonight I'm just going to finish painting it City Chartreuse and then decide if it's just too much or not.  If it is, I'm taking it back to Lowe's to see if they can deepen it a little more for me. 

Weigh in if you have an opinion.  I love opinions :)

No comments: